Around the Fleet
Welcome, one and all, to a new segment with an old name. 'Around the Fleet' is a monthly interview with one of your fellow simmers and the player they RP. This month, our Intrepid Interviewer, Ensign Eugene Nall, meets up with Lieutenant Colonel Patterson of the Darmok.
***
A nerdy-looking man in horn-rimmed glasses and hair full of “product” grinned into a holo-camera. “Good morning, everyone, this is Ensign Eugene Nall, with the USF PADD's ‘Around the Fleet’! I have the great honor of introducing you to the USF's first Marine in a command post, Lieutenant Colonel Travis Patterson, the Executive Officer of the USS Darmok!” He turned to face a man sitting in a chair across from him, “Good morning, Colonel!”
Patterson gave a gentle nod, “Good morning, Ensign. Thanks for having me. I’ve been looking forward to sharing my experiences.”
The reporter put on his ‘serious face’, glancing at a PADD in his hand as he began the interview proper. “So, Colonel, you're the first Marine officer to receive a command post in the USF. Would you consider this a step in the right direction?”
The Marine leaned back slightly and smiled, crossing his hands over his lap. “I think it would be a matter of perspective, Ensign, as it is from both sides of the coin, so to speak. I've never thought that the USF was moving in the wrong direction to begin with. Officers who are capable of leading have always been a prime focus for command positions. The fact I'm a Marine makes no difference in that regard.”
The Ensign nodded thoughtfully. “I see. And, I never meant to imply that the Fleet was moving the wrong direction. And, of course Starfleet Command always ensures that we are led by the finest officers in the galaxy!” He glanced back at the PADD in his hand and cleared his throat. “It says here that you have a history with Starfleet Intelligence and with Force Recon. Does that help you in your current role as Executive Officer of a Reconnaissance-focused ship?”
Patterson considered the question a moment, an expression of deep thought on his face before giving a gentle nod. “The more I think about it, the more I feel it does play a part. A lot of my career has been. . . ,” he paused, “shrouded behind a layer of mystery and clever deception. In that regard, I've learned over the years what to look for, and how to hide in plain sight. I would say that my experiences do give me a huge advantage over the standard Starfleet Academy lessons, but as with all Command personnel. . . we all have our specialties.” He smiled again.
The Ensign leaned forward conspiratorially and winked, “Hiding in plain sight, Colonel? I like that!” He sat back and studied his PADD once more then said, “Oh! Did you begin your career as an officer, or as an enlisted man?”
Patterson replied, “When I first started in Starfleet, I followed along in my father's footsteps, went to Marine Boot Camp and graduated as an enlisted man.” He smiled, but the smile only hid a deeper sorrow as he continued, “Spent my early days fighting the Borg, and later the Dominion. Served as Staff Sergeant on the Agamemnon and made it all the way to where I am now.”
The Ensign raised his eyebrows. “So, you enlisted and worked your way up through all the ranks? From Private to Lieutenant Colonel? Impressive!”
Patterson smiled and gave a shrug, “Actually, I started out after basic training as a Corporal, but, yes.”
The reporter consulted his PADD again, “Ah, this question might be a bit personal, Colonel, so if you don't wish to answer, just say so. But ... are you single? Any romantic interests out there?” There was a gleam in the young man’s eye and a slight smirk on his face.
Patterson chuckled and gave another shrug. “There's been a woman or two who've tickled my fancy, but nothing ever pursued. Have to say, being that I have such a hidden past, questions that most couples would share – thoughts and conversations – I’m just not able to do in the same light.”
A frown of disappointment flickered across the reporter’s face, along with a slight blush, as he said, “A. . . woman. . . or two.” He cleared his throat. “Yes, I suppose having served with Starfleet Intelligence and all those undercover black ops and such would make intimate relationships a bit challenging.”
Patterson answered, “Well. Intimate is the key word there, Ensign.” A smirk crossed his face for a moment, recognizing the look on the reporter’s face. He reached and withdrew a cylindrical case from a pocket and opened it to extract a cigar.
The Ensign eyed the cigar and then asked, “Does your Commanding Officer allow you to smoke on his ship?”
Patterson sniffed the cigar and gave a slight shrug as he stuck one end in his mouth, twirling it thoughtfully before removing it and answering with a grin, “He hasn't ever specifically ordered me and said that I couldn't. Even then, we have the Reconn Dome, which is solely my domain ...” he trailed off, wriggling his eyebrows.
A wistful sigh escaped the young Ensign as he muttered, “The Reconn Dome. . . solely your domain. . . ” Recovering himself, he cleared his throat again and asked, “Ah, one last question from my list, Colonel: Do you have any advice for other Marines considering the command path?”
Patterson nodded as he watched the Ensign thoughtfully before answering. “The same advice I give to anyone, not just my own brothers and sisters: Stay true to your roots. Loyalty, Duty, Respect. Be Selfless and serve in the highest esteem. Honor, above all else. Have the Integrity to do what must be done, and by whatever means necessary. Too many incidents have occurred in our history under the guise of ‘simply following orders.’ Lastly, have the personal Courage to rise and face any hardship ... any challenges ... no matter how great.”
“Wow!” the Ensign said, his face flushed yet again. He squinted his eyes as he struggled to remember. “Loyalty, duty, respect, selflessness, uh, honor, integrity, and um, courage. I think I remembered all that. You're a very interesting man, Colonel.” He straightened in his seat then asked, “Is there anything else you'd like to add for our viewers?”
A gentle smile crossed Patterson’s face. He stuck the cigar back in his mouth, producing a lighter and setting flame to the end of it. He took a long drag, letting out a plume of smoke from his nostrils. “Semper Fidelis. Mors Neminem Excusat. ALWAYS Faithful. Death is no excuse.”
The young reporter coughed and waved at the smoke, then turned back to face the holo-camera. “There you have it folks! Always faithful, death is no excuse! This has been Eugene Nall with the USF PADD, and we’ll be seeing you … ‘Around the Fleet’!”
***
OOC Interview with the Player of Lt. Col. Travis Patterson
This interview was conducted by submitting a list of questions for the Player to answer. Some notes were added later by the Editor {shown italicized in curly-brackets}, and some spelling and grammar corrections were applied.
Q: How long have you been with the USF?
A: I'd like to say on and off for the past 10 years or so. I can't recall exactly anymore. My first character was Ensign Jakaric Cloud, but I fail to recall what sim he was on. {By searching the Archives, I found a bio for Ensign Jakaric Cloud SD 200404.17 on the USS Maverick.}
Q: What brought you to the USF?
A: Honestly, my father got me into it, and having experience with D&D roleplaying, and familiarity with Star Trek, I fit right in.
Q: Do you play any other role-playing games? If so, which ones?
A: Been playing D&D since 2nd Edition, starting around 2003 or so, and I've also done some other chat and forum-based roleplaying for years. Even did some Machinima style roleplaying on various video games, including Star Trek Online. Always found it to be enjoyable, and an escape from reality, which as we all know can be harsh at times.
Q: How long have you been simming/role-playing altogether?
A: Since about age 12? Nearly 15 years now. Not exactly sure anymore. I know I started fairly young, and I've always had such a vivid and wild imagination. In honesty? I can recall days of playing with friends in the yard with sticks for swords or guns, so likely even longer than that!
Q: How long have you played this particular character?
A: Originally I made Patterson as an NCO with the USS Agamemnon, back in December of 2010. He was active there until mid-2013. Took a hiatus until late 2017, where I rejoined the USF on the Darmok at the rank of Marine Captain {O-04, equivalent to First Lieutenant}. Not only am I the first Marine to assume a Command Role, but I'm also possibly the first to work their way up from gruntworks to get there, from Staff Sergeant to Lieutenant Colonel. {Again, searching the Archives, I found the bio for Staff Sergeant Travis Patterson dated SD 201012.29 on the USS Agamemnon.}
Q: What would you say are this character’s best attributes?
A: Patterson is definitely stern and strict, and yet he is a very loyal individual, even to a fault. He is more than willing to disobey orders if he feels that it is in the best interest and safety of the ship and its crew, even to the extent of taking suicidal or outright unjustified actions to do so, at the risk of life and career. Family is the most important thing to any Marine, and we all die someday. At least I can make sure that I choose how my life ends, and perhaps see it through that the rest of my crew gets to choose old age with their families because of my sacrifice, if necessary. {So, Loyalty, Dedication, and Self-Sacrifice are his best attributes.}
Q: What about his worst attributes (if any)?
A: Just as he is willing to disobey an order, he often does whatever his gut tells him, and in some cases takes drastic actions without consulting his peers when he feels the time for discussion is over. Some say this is a command trait, but to me I see it as a flaw. Granted, this rash behavior is usually seen in his eyes as necessary, but it's also the stubbornness of once his mind is set on something ... that's it. Nothing's gonna change it; not even his CO, court-martial, or death! {So, his worst attribute has to be Stubbornness? Maybe best described as "Bull-Headed"?}
Q: How long have you been with your current sim with this character?
A: I've been on the Darmok with Patterson almost a year now. Funny, it doesn't even seem like it’s been THAT long!
Q: On what other sims did you play this character?
A: Originally, Patterson was an NCO on the USS Agamemnon up until its last mission back in 2013. After that I took a bit of a hiatus, and just came back late last year.
Q: Patterson is the USF's first Marine in a command position. In what ways has that been a challenge for you, as the Player?
A: To me, I haven't seen it as a challenge per-say. I've always looked at it as an opportunity to create something new, and give inspiration to others to follow in my footsteps. I've always felt that Patterson, as a Marine, and an expert in intelligence-gathering and Tactical operations, was always in a position to become a great leader - a role model of sorts, even. Now I just have the Command status as proof of concept.
Comments
Post a Comment